Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Conservative or liberal?










We're not talking politics- we're talking about my qipao/cheongsam! (W's family calls it a qipao cuz they're Mandarin speaking and we call it a cheongsam cuz we're Canto.)

It looks like we're going to have a tea ceremony right before the banquet, so I want a cheongsam for the occasion. Technically I could just wear my wedding gown, but I want a cheongsam. Yes, I am aware that I'll be changing out of my gown and into the cheongsam and then back into my gown for the beginning of the banquet (and then maybe into the cheongsam again later that night) but I don't care! I'll do it!

So anyway, a friend from WashU got married in 2004 and had a BACKLESS cheongsam. Her mom made it for her, and it was purple brocade and totally gorgeous. Ever since then I was like, dude, I want a sexy cheongsam, too.

Lucky for me that style is en vogue and relatively easy to find. I talked to a seamstress in California way back when and she said she'd be able to do it for me. Here's what it might look like:




































So here are my questions/dilemmas:

1) Is the backless cheongsam too revealing? I know I'm wearing a strapless gown, but that's more acceptable. This is pretty non-traditional, and I'll be meeting some of W's relatives from Taiwan for the first time. I don't want to be offensive. (I obviously have no trouble showing skin...I AM Californian after all!)
2) Can I wear the same strapless bra with my gown and this dress?
and
3) Should I go with the traditional red or another color? I don't want white (I think that's a funeral color) and pink supposedly is the color concubines wear. I don't know if there are special meanings behind other colors, too. I tried on a red one and it looked okay (since my complexion is so pale. Thank you, Boston!) but I like to be different. Maybe blue, after my hero:



Thoughts?

3 comments:

Jessica said...

lol... navy blue would be nice, but maybe a bit longer than the one pictured. ;) you can save the short one for wayne later that night. hahahaha... or! you can get like one of those dresses we saw at the wedding day with velcro bottoms to be more formal and rip it off for the evening... haha, that was interesting...

Erin's cheongsam was one of those contemporary ones, but still very pretty and elegant. it had a train too. i dont remember if she wore red or gold...

Unknown said...

your dress is gonna be perfect :D that style will look great on you!

Unknown said...

the darker colors are actually quite pretty...i don't think it's too revealing!