Monday, March 3, 2008

huh?

I have a ton of pictures to post about my wedding-planning week in California (which, btw, I would highly recommend, with some adjustments), but since it's late and I have to work tomorrow I'll just say this:

I think I get hit on more now that I'm engaged than when I was just dating.

This is, like, the reverse-Carla effect! (In Scrubs Carla noticed that men didn't notice her anymore after she got engaged...to the point where The Todd wasn't even making sexual innuendos around her.) I, however, have gotten hit on more. The cashier at Staples was asking me for my zodiac sign after he saw my ring (nipped that one cuz I told him it was my engagement ring) and then some dude at the Phoenix airport totally winked at me and gave me twice the amount of chili cheese fries (pictured above).

I'm kind of confused, but this lends to my theory that people of the opposite sex are more attracted to you when you're unavailable. Hear me out: if you know someone is in a relationship, that means that 1) they're able to make a commitment and 2) someone else likes that person for some reason or another. So it's like two automatic plusses...even if you were neutral about that person, knowing they're in a relationship may make you stop to think about their better qualities, or what they might contribute to a relationship.

I'd venture to say that if a really "blah" guy was with a really "wow" girl it would cause everyone to question what that guy had that we didn't notice but the "wow" girl saw. And we might look more favorably on the "blah" guy because of it.

I don't know if that makes sense but I think the theory has some validity. I hope you other bride-to-be's aren't getting hit on left and right, and for everyone else...something to think about. =)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

how strange that you would mention this... just yesterday we were in line at an ATM and these two guys with a little chihuahua playfully said "sic her boy, sic her and see if she's over 18"... eugh... so nasty!!!!!!