Saturday, March 8, 2008

make me pretty!

It never occurred to me that we would still have formal dances in college. I went to plenty of dances in high school and thought that was the end of it. Formals in college were interesting because people would go with dates, sorta, or go as a huge stag group but then someone would ruin it by asking someone...I dunno exactly, but there was always drama. Anyway, I was in a long distance relationship and my boyfriend was very involved in his schoolwork, so I resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't be going to a college formal. It's fine, I told myself. I don't need this anyway. I can help everyone get ready. I don't have to be part of the drama. Here, borrow my camera while I curl your hair. Have fun.

Instead of dressing up for formal I would go all out if we were having a Sister's Appreciation, going out for someone's birthday, etc. "It's my only chance to dress up!" I'd say. I was obviously overcompensating.

Now I'm a nurse and my work clothes consists of scrubs. I don't wear makeup or jewelry (other than my e-ring and a simple necklace) because face it, it's gonna get gross. And we don't really go out to fancy places or clubs or whatever, so I have little need to dress up. I thought I was becoming more comfortable with this laid-back clothing lifestyle, to the point where it wasn't a big deal to dress up. I was definitely wrong.

I GET TO DRESS UP ON MY WEDDING DAY! I can wear all the jewelry I want, have my hair and makeup done by someone else, be sparkly and shiny and ivory, have my nails done (for once!), and it's okay because it's my wedding day! I feel like it's my retribution for having to dress all scrubby. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but man, my femininity feels like it's been hitting an all-time low. I guess I could wear more form-fitting scrubs but I'm not THAT kind of nurse. And really, no one ever should be.

Anyway, pictures of my accessories thus far:






























*ivory/gold ballet flats from Nordstrom Rack
*Givenchy Swarovski crystal earrings from Macy's
*Monet pearl and CZ earrings from Macy's
*the bustle on my dress (loosely done, it'll be cleaner day of)
*Swarovski crystal/pearl necklace from Guatemala courtesy of the lovely CJ (isn't it perfect!?!? She saw it there and bought it for me.)

I bought the Monet earrings because they match the necklace, but when I tried them on they were too subtle. I'll be wearing the blingy ones instead. I had a lot of help choosing accessories from my designated stylist, EJ, and my bridesmaids. Thanks gals! Actually, I think that the only accessory I need now is my wedding band! W and I will work on that.

I also had my hair trial while in California:




















Miss Caramel (Carol) from Weddingbee happens to be friends with one of my bridesmaids, so I asked her to do my hair for the big day. I drove up to Culver City to see her- she was so nice! I had sent her pictures of things that I liked and she was able to visualize it pretty well.

I liked the back of my hair but she made it too high the first time. I looked like a ballerina, which was a little too stiff for me. She ended up making it lower (which is good since my hair is so stinkin' heavy) and making my side part more evident. Simple, classic, and hopefully beautiful. And hopefully able to withstand the 16-hour day that is my wedding.

I'll be meeting with Jamie, my makeup artist, sometime in May. I'm so intimidated by makeup, but Jamie did my makeup for another wedding and I felt really comfortable with her. Hurrah! It's such a relief to have awesome vendors and have some of these little things done. Almost 5 months until the wedding!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

yay for the bling!!! sounds like things are pulling together :D

Unknown said...

¿oh and strapless backless? :O haha can´t wait to see pics.

joanne said...

i love your shoes! and your bustle!

Jessica said...

ooooo.. love the necklace!! i was a little worried that the earrings didnt have any pearls on it too, but now I think the givenchy ones are perfect! the necklace is gorgeous!

Unknown said...

yeah baby, this is your day to get all glammed up...fun!!!!!!