Saturday, January 5, 2008

yes yes yes yes yes!

We're engaged!

My family lives in California but we have relatives in Arizona, so we all decided to go there for New Year's this year. W met us in Phoenix on the 29th (after going on a 10-day cruise to the Caribbean with his family) and would drive back to California with us afterwards, too.

On the 30th W went to a football game with some of the guys in my family while I babysat one of my cousins and then shopped with my mom and sister. That night we had dinner with our relatives and stayed for awhile afterwards to play. W went back to my uncle's house first (where we were staying) and I drove back later with my brothers and sister. We stopped for a Slurpee and then made it back to the house.

After we started settling down and getting ready for bed, W asked if I wanted to go have some alone time. It was past midnight and a little cold, so I asked if we could just have alone time when we ran errands in the morning. He kept looking at me intently, so I got the hint and put on my coat.

We walked down some random street and finally settled on a spot where it was quiet. He shared about some things he had been thinking about on the cruise and how he was looking forward to the ways he could serve me when we're married. I said "aw, thanks" and told him I was hoping I could do the same for him.

At this point I was thinking "Is he going to seal the deal or what?"

THEN he said, "I have another surprise for you" to which I replied, "Oh really?"
He nodded and said, "It's shiny."
And then I started crying.
W pulled out the ring, got down on one knee and asked if I would marry him. And I said yes.

I was crying and hugging him and interrogating him for 20 minutes afterwards. I called my parents (who were staying in a hotel nearby) and then got mauled by my sister and brothers as soon as we walked in the door.

It's been almost a week but I'm still in disbelief! I'm so happy though...I can't even explain. I'll try and explain better over the next few days. Until then, a picture of us that night:

1 comment:

joanne said...

beautiful post. and a great reminder for old married folks (like luke) to serve each other in marriage!