Saturday, May 17, 2008

lazy or smart?

Man...back in the day I was so ambitious about wedding stuff. If I had kept that momentum I would probably have a preposterous wedding (including a candy bar, a photo booth, and an In-n-out truck.) Memorable, but over-the-top.

I have to constantly remind myself that we don't have to go into debt to entertain our guests. Truth be told, most of our guests are adults who are capable of finding things to do. I wanted to plan lots of get-togethers, bonfires, bowling nights, Angels games...anything to maximize Southern California resources and my time with my friends. But I've realized that my friends have other friends, too (gasp!) and might not want to spend all that time with me since I'll be so frazzled anyway.

We have less than three months till the wedding, and that means less time to order extra things or give people notice about wedding events. We're frantically working on getting invitations out (did I mention that I'm now gonna make 30 invitations for W's relatives in Taiwan? By hand?) and getting ready for our trip to California this coming week. Man, May flew by! I was thinking "oh, it's fine, we have plenty of time!" but NO. It's our last trip out before I fly out the week before the wedding, so if things can get done, they're going to get done. And if they don't, we might just skip them all together.

Lazy? or smart? I'm thinking lazy now, but maybe not having so many details to worry about will help make that day a little less stressful. Thank goodness for my wedding coordinator...she doesn't want me to think/stress about ANYTHING that day, so I am trying my best to get every detail down so she can take charge. Relinquishing control...that's so not me!
***
In the meantime, it finally hit me the other day that my life is gonna change a lot after we get married. That sounds stupid, but it was all I could think about the other day. I was climbing into bed and then it hit me that soon I'm going to be sharing a bed with someone. And not just anyone, but my husband. And I'm gonna be cooking for him, cleaning OUR house, living with him...none of these are bad things, but it was just a huge reality check. It finally hit me that I'm getting married. It'll be W&T forever! Suddenly I won't just have my time- it'll be OUR time. I have to be selfless ALL the time, even on days where I don't like him or he's made me upset. I didn't get cold feet, but everything just started to set in more. I'm sure premarital counseling will contribute to this as well. Maybe it was just eerie because it seems like it's happening really soon.

I think another part of it was just overall sadness because so many things will be changing this summer. I've been physically preparing for things (like with bridal showers and farewell parties) but it hadn't hit me emotionally and mentally. It feels like graduation, when you know you won't see people anymore cuz everyone's going to do their own thing...except now it's marriage and school and other things that separate us.
***
I had a thought the other day...when we get married, does that bind me to the East Coast? Do I lose my privileges as a West Coaster?

No comments: