Friday, April 4, 2008

are we fancy?

The Sunday before I left California I had a tasting with Fresch Concepts. My brother and sister graciously agreed to come along and sample the food that they were preparing for us.

Fresch Concepts consists of 2 women in their 30's: pharmacists by trade, event planners/caterers as their alter egos! They're Asian but use European and American influences.






Homemade strawberry and mango sorbet in an ice bowl, tomato bisque, caesar salad spring rolls, and roasted sausage skewers! Yum.







The food was delish, and I really liked Mai and Annie. We ended up booking them, but we're asking them to make the menu more Asian than European. We care a lot more about the food being yummy than being super fancy. I know we're having Asian food all week, but we can't help it- we love Asian food! Korean BBQ for the rehearsal, Vietnamese for the reception, and Chinese for the banquet. Don't say we didn't feed you well on this trip.

Mai is supposed to come up with a sample menu for us...I can't wait to see it! I just have to make sure the rest of the reception hall follows suit in terms of decorations, atmosphere, etc.

Speaking of which- we decided to not spend thousands of dollars on flowers because, well, we don't really care. We agree that flowers are a nice touch, but we don't have the budget to spend a lot of money to decorate. We bought flowers for the basics (bouquet, boutinierres, etc.) but we didn't get anything to decorate the aisles or the fellowship hall for the reception.

I'm gonna pour through some magazines for reception ideas, but I thought of this for the aisles:




Tissue paper flowers!! Thank you, Martha Stewart.








So here's the question: Are tissue paper flowers cheap looking? Martha's actually look pretty good (they looked stunning on the cover of one of her magazines), so I'd venture to say that they'd be fine for aisle decorations. I'd just make small bouquets for each aisle and then maybe use some kind of ribbon or tulle to connect them. The other cheaper/less time consuming alternative would be to use big ribbons:











Part of me feels like I owe this wedding some sort of do-it-yourself project, but another part of me is wondering how much I'll actually care about what the aisle looks like. I care more about the guy at the end of the aisle! Input please!! If I end up making flowers I'll need to start soon...or I can have a flower-making sweatshop the week before the wedding.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

you know I like flowers. and you know I like making things, including paper flowers. but I think I'm actually going to vote for some sort of ribbon thing instead, bows if you must ;). paper flowers can easily get crushed. the nice thing about not using real flowers is that you can pre-decorate and leave it there!

Unknown said...

hey! i agree with flowers being a huge money-sucker. for my aisles i think i just used tulle (you might remember better than me =)and i think kat and monica tied them the night before. ribbons would be really pretty too. tissue paper might wrinkle easily.
for tables, you could have someone buy batches from costco (or order online like we did) then stick them in $3 vases from walmart - voila!
the food sounds delicious - cant wait!!

Unknown said...

ahh i didnt know luke is signed in!! hehe.. of course its me joanne =)

Erica said...

The food looks delish! And, I agree that paper tissue flowers might be crushed too easily.