Monday, April 14, 2008

sorry, no can do

Our guest list is enormous. I told my cousin that I wanted the invitations to be simple, which she was fine with, but when she found out that we're inviting 500 people to the wedding she was like, "OH! No wonder you wanna keep it simple!" Yes. We're crazy. Our wedding is gonna be madness.

We sent out the save-the-date, and we've already found out that some people won't be able to make it (due to pregnancy, missions training, or school.) My question: Do we still send invitations to these people? Etiquette that I've learned is that if you get an invitation but don't attend you still need to send a gift. I don't want the people that can't make it to feel obligated to send a gift, especially because we knew well in advance that they wouldn't be able to make it. BUT I don't want to skip sending them an invitation just because they can't go. Is that weird? What's the right thing to do in this situation?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

well, just because a guest receives an invitation doesn't mean they HAVE to send a gift...it's courtesy to send one, but it's not obligatory (in my opinion).

i think we sent one even if we knew certain people couldn't make it. that way, we didn't offend them by not inviting them, and we also got a few extra gifts out of it! i'd say to pay the extra postage.

joanne said...

i would still send an invite - it's a gesture that, regardless of whether they could actually attend or not, you and wayne wanted to share your day with them! i wouldnt think too much about the gift factor...